A social media account is an extension of your brand and is often the first port of call for prospective customers, so it needs to look great. Social media platforms are forever changing their recommended images sizes and formats of artwork, so to ensure a fine finish, we’ve created a round up of the most recent, recommended social media image sizes:
- Profile picture: The Facebook profile picture must be at least 180 x 180 pixels but the image will appear as 160 x 160 pixels.
Desktop display: 160 x 160 pixels
Smartphone/tablet display: 128 x 128 pixels
- Cover photo: Displays at 828 pixels wide by 315 pixels tall on your Page on computers and 640 pixels wide by 360 pixels tall on smartphones. The cover photo must be at least 399 pixels wide and 150 pixels tall.
- Ad images: The recommended width for the images used in ads on Facebook is 1200 pixels. The height should be 44 pixels (for the Page Likes and Event Responses objectives), 675 pixels (for the Video Views objective), 900 pixels (for the Page Post Engagement objective) or 628 pixels (for all other objectives).
The reason for the recommended sizes is to ensure the images are to the highest possible quality depending on the reason for the post, ad images etc.
- Posts to your profile or page: The recommended size for images posted to your page vary from the same size as ad images – 1200 pixels or as small as 470 pixels.
- Facebook group cover photo: The group cover photo must be at least 400 pixels wide by 150 pixels high. A higher quality image is recommended to be 800 pixels wide by 300 pixels high.
- Images with link posts: The recommended size for images with links is 1200 pixels wide by 628 pixels high.
- Profile photo: The recommended size for the Twitter profile photo to be uploaded at is 400 pixels wide by 400 pixels high, but it will be displayed at 200 x 200 pixels.
- Header photo: When customising your Twitter account, it is recommended that the header photo is 1,500 pixels wide by 500 pixels high. It should be noted that part of the header photo will be overlapped.
- In-Stream images: Even though Twitter doesn’t recommend a specific photo size for your tweets, the maximum size is usually around 1024 pixels wide by 220 pixels high. The minimum size is recommended at 440 pixels wide by 220 pixels high.
- Ad images: If used, the minimum size for Twitter advertising images is 600 pixels wide by 150 pixels wide.
- Profile image: The image guidelines for the Pinterest profile image is 165 x 165 pixels. On the homepage it appears full size (165 x 165) and on the rest of Pinterest it appears 32 x 32 pixels.
- Board cover image: For each of your personal boards, you can create a customised background using a portion of an image within that board. Sizes vary from around 217 x 147 pixels at the minimum to 222 x 150 pixels at the maximum.
- Board display: As creating a board is one of the most important things you can do on Pinterest, it is crucial that the images are the perfect size. It is recommended that images are 222 pixels wide by 150 pixels high for a large thumbnail and 55 x 55 pixels for a smaller thumbnail.
- Pin sizes: Images that have been pinned to the main page and that are pinned to a board appear as 236 pixels (height is scaled). Expanded pins have a minimum width of 600 pixels (height is scaled).
- Profile background: The image guidelines for the background image of your LinkeIn profile are between 1,000 x 425 pixels and 4,000 x 4,000 pixels.
- Profile photo: The recommendations for the size of the profile image are between 400 x 400 pixels and 20,000 x 20,000 pixels. The minimum is for a profile image is 200 x 200 pixels.
- Standard logo: The business logo is one of the two brand logos you should be uploading to LinkedIn, this is the bigger of the two and will show up next to your brand name on your profile. The image is recommended to be sized at 100 pixel wide by 60 pixels high (resized to fit).
- Square logo: This is the brand image that shows up when your company is searched. In order for this image to be useful/successful it needs to be recognisable to customers. This image is recommended to be 50 x 50 pixels.
- Banner image: This image appears when a user visits your companies homepage. This is recommended to be 646 pixels wide by 220 pixels high (minimum).
- Showcase Page: The Showcase page image is a page that focuses on your specific products/services under your company page. This image is recommended to be 974 x 300 pixels (minimum).
- Ad images: The recommended image size for LinkedIn ads is 50 x 50 pixels.
- Posts to your profile and page: The most effective size for image posts to your profile is 800 pixels wide by 400 pixels high, this is to get the best quality.
- Group logos: Your group logo should be 100 pixels wide by 60 pixels high, and the small logo should be 50 pixel by 50 pixels.
- Profile picture: The minimum size for the channel icon is 98 x 98 pixels but it is recommended to upload the image at 800 x 800 pixels.
- Cover photo/channel art: As there are lots of different platforms and devices that users can stream Youtube from, it’s important that there is an image for each one;
Tablet display: 1855 x 423 pixels
Mobile display: 1546 x 423 pixels
TV display: 2560 x 1440 pixels
Desktop banner – Expands with browser: 2560 x 423 pixels
(Default browser window size: 1546 x 423 pixels)
- Video thumbnails: Videos must maintain a 16:9 aspect ratio, so it’s recommended the thumbnail is 1280 pixels wide by 760 pixels high.
- Profile photo: The smallest profile image size you can usefor your Google+ profile image is 120 x 120 pixels and the recommended size is 250 x 250 pixels. You upload an image which is square but then it is rendered into a cirle, so choose your image wisely!
- Cover photo: The recommended cover photo size for Google+ is 1080 x 608 pixels, with a maximum of 2120 x 1192 pixels and a minimum of 480 x 270 pixels.
- Shared images: These images appear in the home stream and on your page at a widtch of 426 pixels (height is scaled). Minimum width of 497 pixels (the height is scale) and the maximum upload is 2048 x 2048 pixels .
- Link preview image thumbnails: These link preview thumbnails are displayed at 150 pixels wide by 150 pixels high.
- Community profile photo: If you run a Google+ community, the profile photo must be a minimum of 960 pixels wide by 540 pixels high.
- Profile photo: The suggested sizes for profile photos on Instagram is from 110 x 110 pixels to 161 x 161 pixels (Square photo – make sure to maintain an aspect ratio of 1:1).
- Photo thumbnails: Thumbnails will appear on the page at 161 x 161 pixels, also make sure to maintain an aspect ratio of 1:1 as the photos are square.
- Photo size: Since the Instagram update, the size of the imageshas been increased t o 1080 x 1080 pixels, although Instagram still scales the photos down to 612 x 612 pixels. The images appear in feed at 510 x 510 pixels.
Here at Bigwave media, we’ve got the social media and design expertise to advise you on how to make your accounts pop. Would you like us to show you how? Call us on 01392 492380 or visit our website at www.bigwavemedia.co.uk.
Previous Next View All Get a Quote